@gym: PFO may be, dear mansplainer.

i havent wrote blogs in awhile. partly because writing for ludwig van toronto has been fulfilling that need to write, and that writing to teh world can be a tiring thing, especially when there are potentials for arguments and contempt. but here is another one, hooray, happy 2020!

at the gym today, i was trying to crush down 100 flights of stairs under 13 min, it is not super fast but it does take it out of me.  for last 2 min, i was holding onto the handrail, with horrible form, back stretched, and knees not underneath my body. i knew my form was horrid, but hey, just 4-5 more flights to go so, and somehow, like video game, i had to try to crush those numbers. silly me.

then an older man appeared and stopped by me while i was publicly dying.

man: your form will hurt your back
me: thanks.

and then he stood there, expecting-
then he spoke again,

man: it's better for you to go slower with better form
me: thanks.


what was he expecting? me to stop and correct my form? to immediate ask him for advice? chunk of change?

so i kept on pushing through. 3 more flights to go.
then he spoke again-

man: i said you will-
me: thanks.


and then he stood for bit longer, then left.
i finished my 100 flights and stopped dying immediately.
as i did a mile run to round off the session, i wondered what was up.

-was i simply being too reactive?
-was i supposed to immediately thank him for his gracious feed back and correct my ways?
-wait, who the hell is he?
-it's creepy for people to stare at others at the gym, isnt it?
-was i not clear of my intent to not to further interact when i said 'thanks?'

if he stopped at the first exchange and left, i wouldve thought: huh, concerned citizen. thanks. i will pay attention so that i wont hurt myself.

but the fact that he hung around for good half-min, expecting me to interact in some way, that's the dead giveaway for what it really was: mansplaining.
why dont you fuck off?
---
so i talked to a friend and asked if i was overreacting.

friend: ... may be?
me: tho, did anyone ever talk to you at the gym about your form?
friend: no, never.
me: it happens to me whenever im in the general area.
friend: i wonder why you, not me.
me: cuz you are almost 6 feet tall, huge dude, and i look like a little girl.
friend: you think?
me: welcome to everyday sexism.
it was just international women's day. and yeah, it was only 23 hrs long, thanks to daylight savings. everyday sexism is a real thing and it does gnaw at me at times.
i still wonder what he was expecting from me, and if this happens again, im just gonna have to tell him that he's creeping me out, regardless of his 'good' intentions.

be aware, people with advice in public places for strangers,
as your interaction isnt always required nor asked.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

canned cocktail wiener found in walter hall

the violence of spring

someone quick, help poor ophelia.. wait, you mean she was 'help' herself? i guess she'll have to stay drawned then..